25g unsalted butter
2 tsp whole black peppercorns, ground or 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
50g Parmesan, finely grated
- Cook the pasta for two minutes less than the pack instructions state, in salted boiling water
- Meanwhile, melt the butter in a medium frying pan over a low heat, then add the ground black pepper and toast for a few minutes
- Drain the pasta, keeping 200ml of the pasta water. Tip the pasta and 100ml of the saved water into the frying pan with the butter and pepper. Toss briefly, then scatter over the Parmesan evenly, but don’t stir
- Wait for the cheese to melt for 30 seconds, then once melted, toss everything and stir together. This prevents the cheese from clumping or going stringy and makes a smooth, shiny sauce.
- Add a splash more saved water if required, to loosen the sauce and coat the pasta. Serve immediately with a good grating of black pepper