This time last year, I never imagined I’d be trying to marshall my thoughts into some sort of coherent post about how the last 365 days have been for me and my family.
It is perhaps easiest if I divide my thoughts into two columns – positives and negatives …
- Lockdowns work. They’re hard on the population but they were the only thing that seemed to lower infection rates.
- WhatsApp groups flourished in the early months – lots of checking in with each other, funny memes and jokes.
- Baking – I rediscovered my baking ability (but knocked out far too many cakes and biscuits).
- Zoom calls for work and play meant a whole new learning curve but ultimately helped us to remain connected and it was great to ‘see’ so many people in one place.
- Gardening – our small back garden received a lot of attention and the front flower bed has never looked so lovely.
- We discovered that The Boy and my God Daughter are phenomenal at virtual Harry Potter quizzes.
- Tilly has absolutely loved having us all at home, all the time, and not to mention all the long walks she has enjoyed.
- I found a fitness routine that worked and I still follow it.
- The Best Friend and I began cyber cropping together on a regular basis.
- The vaccine. 🙂 Both The Brainy One and I have received our first dose of the Oxford AstraZeneca vaccine, with no obvious side effects.
- Homeschooling was not an enjoyable experience for any of us. 😦
- Chatting on WhatsApp groups fell away. By the beginning of January, I had so many groups open, I’d get them mixed up. I left them all and it was incredibly liberating.
- The lack of interaction with family and friends has been hard. I never knew that I would miss hugging so much.
- Christmas, birthdays and family events over Zoom can never replace being together in person.
- The lack of overseas travel has only aggravated my itchy feet.
- On a national level, the number of Covid-related deaths has been horrifying.
- The inability of some people to wear a mask correctly is both irritating and frustrating.
I was expecting to find that I had more negatives than positives, but it seems the reverse is true.
My friend Deb wrote about her thoughts recently – you can find that post here.
Mary-Lou of Patio Postcards also expressed her thoughts recently – find her post here.