Any tips you’d like to share on the topic of tradesmen and home improvements?
A few thoughts now that we are nearing the end of our bathroom remodel.
We’ve endured orders that have never arrived and tradesmen who have disappeared.
The end, however, is in sight.
1) Always anticipate that the work will take much longer than first thought.
2) Ensure that orders have been received and are on site before work starts.
This will save hours spent on the ‘phone chasing up suppliers.
3) If at all possible, ensure that backup tradesmen are just a ‘phone call away.
This will save a few weeks where nothing happens because
your tradesmen have over-committed themselves.
4) Ensure that the tradesmen are happy.
Make cups of tea and laugh at their jokes.
This may well save “extras” appearing on the bill.
5) Always keep records of how much has been spent and ask for receipts.
A paper trail will be crucial in the event of any dispute over money.